Thursday, August 20, 2009

Brilliant marketing strategy


Granted, the area I'm in right now (Oil City, PA) is rather conservative - McCain carried the county by 19 percentage points. But still, 40% of the votes cast here in that election were for Obama.

Really, I wish I had an award to give out, because this is genius: Use your business's sign, not to extol the virtues of the products or services you offer, not to provide useful information to prospective customers; use it to gratuitously insult two-fifths of your potential clientele.

Bravo, Short Street Motor Cars. I hope you beat the odds and manage to stay in business. I'm sure you'll be good for a few dozen more posts here.

-----

And lest you think this is a one-off, their last message on that sign (which I apologize for not getting a photo of) was about the state's senior Senator, after his recent party change: "Arlen Specter / A self serving American traitor". Keep up the good work, guys.

-----

UPDATE 1 Sept. 2009: The company has now responded to criticism of this sign. My prediction is starting to come true already. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing. The movie theater in my hometown took a few pot shots at our town manager on the marquee after the building was condemned but it hardly mattered at that point. I've never seen anything like this before!

    ReplyDelete